Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Creative Regulations?

What does it mean to be creative? I think of myself as a creative person because people throughout my life have told me I am.

cre·a·tive /kriˈeɪtɪv/
1. having the quality or power of creating.
2. resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: creative writing.
3. originative; productive (usually fol. by of).
4. Facetious. using or creating exaggerated or skewed data, information, etc.: creative bookkeeping.
5. having or showing the power and imagination to create

Example: a creative dress-designer Arabic: خلاّق، مُبْدِع
Chinese (Simplified): 有创造力的
Chinese (Traditional): 有創造力的
Czech: kreativní, tvořivý
Danish: kreativ; skabende; idérig
Dutch: creatief
Estonian: loov
Finnish: luova
French: créateur
German: schöpferisch
Greek: δημιουργικός
Hungarian: alkotó; teremtő
Icelandic: skapandi, frjór
Indonesian: kreatif
Italian: creativo
Japanese: 創造的な
Korean: 창조적인
Latvian: radošs
Lithuanian: kūrybingas, kūrybiškas
Norwegian: skapende, kreativ, formende
Polish: twórczy
Portuguese (Brazil): criativo
Portuguese (Portugal): criativo
Romanian: inventiv, creativ
Russian: творческий
Slovak: tvorivý
Slovenian: ustvarjalen
Spanish: creativo
Swedish: kreativ
Turkish: yaratıcı, özgün düşünce ürünü

My ideas and thoughts have always been my own. I really wasn't doing anything because everyone else was. My mom raised me to be creative. I guess she let both my sister and I know that different was okay. I have had my opinions and ideas since I was very young and they haven't changed much. Not meaning I had three ideas and I am creativly used up just my values have been in place for a really long time. Alright the reason I am bringing this up....in my job (especially the military) I rarely have the oportunity to be creative. Well now I work for someone that is giving me free rein to be just that. So seeing as though it isn't difficult for me to be creative I jump on it and come up with some pretty creative ( or as the military sees it DIFFERENT) ideas. These are instantly shut down and I am scolded for thinking that way. He finds facts (regulations) or others' opinions concering the matter. WHY!? do we have to be so robotic in the military? I understand how pieces of it would be helpful in the field but how is it helping us here and now? So I am told to be creative so I do that and get in trouble, then I am told to follow the regs and get in trouble for that too! The only solution I can find is to get out of the military and find my place in the world. A place where I am free to be creative without restrictions (regulations). I understand there are rules and I am not just wanting to break them. I have a certain way that things make sense to me and I try to explain it to others. Many in my life have struggled seeing things my way. Now it sounds like I am a control freak, and perhaps that's the case. My question out of all of this is how can you be creative "AND" follow regulations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello...I hope you are doing well, I just want to say I enjoyed surfing around your webpage...you are truly gifted in what you do...you are very creative and I love your colors. I read your blog "creative regulations". I am also in the military and also a scrapper (I'm a squad leader) and in my opinion, it sounds to me like your boss was being very lienient with you to let you have "free rein" to do your job. This tells me your boss isnt a "micro-manager"In your bosses defense, I can understand that your boss "shut you down" because you were probably "going outside" the military regs. I tell my squad they can be "decentralized" (i.e. creative)in making descisions as long they stick within Army regs to govern or guide their decisions and they respect me for that. In my opinion, I agree with your boss to let you be creative, but to stick withing the regs. As we are in the military we DO have regs we have to abide by in the military, yes the military is robotic and the theory has worked for years. It sounds to me like you wont make the military a career. I know its hard to understand when a person is not in a supervisory roll,its sounds to me like you were not in a supervisory roll, if you were you would understand your bosses point of view. Again just my opinion as a squad leader. Again, I LOVE your creativness and your use of colors. Keep up the great work and have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...